It is with great pleasure that we announce our next maths and science exam-topics workshop for Grade 11 and Grade 12 learners. This workshop/seminar will take place on Saturday 06 August 2016 at Pretoria State Theatre, corner Church and Sisulu (Prinsloo) Street, in the Arena Theatre (Venue).
This follows the previous workshops/seminars held at University of Pretoria and State Theatre in 2015 that included invaluable presentations from Department of Basic education, Innovation Hub and CSIR as well as support and materials Department of Science & Technology, South African Agency for Science & Technology Advancement (SAASTA), Sanlam, Expeditors South Africa and Vodacom among others. This year’s workshop is expected to include more participants.
Trig – reduction formulae, trig equations, double angle
Graphs – exponential; parabola; hyperbola
Calculus & Applications – min/maximisation; curve sketching
Work, Energy & Power
Rates of Reactions & Chemical Equilibrium
Scientific demonstrations by Sci-Bono.
Entrepreneurship presentation by Innovation Hub.
Prize-giving to best presenters or most active learners.
Sponsorship by Innovation Hub of some learners into its programmes.
Free maths & science exam prep booklet to all the learners.
Writing material from Sanlam.
Bursary & career info.
And many more…!!!
·Schools: please send a list of learners and their grades.
·Individual attendees: please RSVP
Send reservations or enquiries for more info to:
The format of the workshop will be as follows:
• The workshop will take place from 08:30 – 14:30 including registrations at the beginning and issuing of awards/certificates at the end.
• From the topics listed above, schools whose learners wish to present at the workshop can select a maximum of two topics per school. Based on experiences of the previous workshops, if a number of schools ask to present a topic, we may reduce the topics per school to one at the final allocation.
• The discussions will be conducted by learners while teachers will only offer guidance where necessary. There will be judges to score the presentations.
• Each school will be allocated 30 minutes during which a learner (or learners teaming up from that school) will present, discuss and field questions from the audience on the topic that the school has been allocated.
• There will be no winners or losers. All learners whether presenting or part of the audience will benefit.
• All presenters and the best participants from the audience will receive prizes.
• The workshop is free of charge to all learners and those accompanying them. Learners can attend as part of a school or individually.
• A final list of selected presenters will be released before the workshop.
Schools are requested to encourage their learners to attend so that they can benefit from this event.
Besides knowledge and information, they usually receive beneficial material. Lunch is provided.
The workshop is aimed at encouraging peer learning and stimulating knowledge sharing among learners in the ‘difficult’ concepts of maths and science. Learners that will be presenting are requested to study and have a thorough understanding of all aspects of their topics that relate to the grade11/12 curriculum. Their subject teachers are requested to support them in this.
Guidelines to Presenters:
• Each presenter should summarize the entire topic and discuss exam type questions during their presentation.
• Learners are encouraged to relate some real-life examples in discussions of their science topics.
• Learners should stick to the allocated time and therefore rehearsal is important.
Note: There is secure undercover parking at the State Theatre and being a Saturday, traffic isn’t expected to be heavy.
Scimatics Solutions Maths & Science Seminar for Grade 11 and 12
Date: Saturday 01 August 2015
Venue: Pretoria State Theatre
The programme and topics and topics for the day are as follows:
|08:30 – 08:55||Registration|
|08:55 – 09:00||Welcome and Introduction|
|Start of Presentations|
|09:00 – 09:25||Work, Energy & Power|
|09:25 – 09:50||Euclidian Geometry (no proving of theorems)|
|09:50 – 10:15||Organic Chemistry|
|10:15 – 10:40||Electric Circuits|
|10:40 – 11:05||Trig – reduction formulae, trig equations, double angle|
|11:05 – 11:30||Rates of Reactions & Chemical Equilibrium|
|11:30 – 11:45||Presentation by Innovation Hub|
|11:45 – 12:15||Tea/Snack Break|
|12:15 – 12:40||Probability & Statistics|
|12:40 – 13:05||Equations of Motions & Projectile Motion|
|13:05 – 13:30||Trigonometric Graphs, Sine-Cosine Rule & 3-D Trig|
|13:30 – 13:45||Presentation by CSIR : Career/Bursary Information|
|13:45 – 14:00||Prizes, certificates to participating schools, pamphlets to learners & closing|
- Spaces have to be booked by contacting our office either by phone or email.
- A couple of the topics listed above were discussed at the February seminar but they have been repeated here due to their importance and level of difficulty in the exam.
- The seminar is free of charge. All attending learners will receive a free maths and science exam preparation booklet covering the topics presented.
Scimatics Solutions Maths & Science Seminar for Schools
Scimatics Solutions is organising a learner-led maths and science seminar for Grade 11 and Grade 12 that will take place on Saturday 21 February 2015 at University of Pretoria, IT Building, Room 2-27, from 09:00 – 14:30.
Various schools from around Pretoria will be taking part in the seminar and learners from different schools will present the topics.
The programme and topics and topics for the day are as follows:
08:30 – 09:00 Registration
09:00 – 09:15 Welcome and Introduction
|09:15 – 09:45||Momentum & Newton’s laws|
|09:45 – 10:15||Functions – exponential, hyperbola, quadratic|
|10:15 – 10:45||Stoichiometry|
|10:45 – 11:15||Electrostatics & electric fields|
|11:15 – 11:30||Tea Break|
|11:30 – 12:00||Trig – reduction formulae, solving equations, identities|
|12:00 – 12:30||Electric Circuits|
|12:30 – 13:00||Organic chemistry – functional groups, naming, reactions|
|13:00 – 13:30||Circle geometry – applications of theorems (no proving)|
|13:30 – 14:00||Giving out certificates to participating schools, pamphlets to learners & closing|
The final list showing which schools will discuss which topics will be made available close to the seminar.
This seminar is a wealth of knowledge and Grade 11/12 learners are encouraged to attend.
- The seminar is free of charge to all those attending.
- The discussions will be conducted by learners while teachers will only moderate and offer guidance where necessary.
- The learners presenting topics will each receive a one-month voucher worth R1420 to use for consultations or extra tuition at Scimatics Solutions.
- All the learners attending will receive a free pamphlet covering questions and solutions on the different topics discussed.
- Sanlam will provide stationery packs to the learners for use during the seminar.
To attend the seminar, please RSVP your name, telephone, email and school by 31 January 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you there.